Thursday, January 31, 2008

Meandering through the cyberworld

If you watch a dog walking down the street, paying no mind to anything he finds at his feet, suddenly, the dog abruptly turns to the right. With his nose to the wind there is no telling what the dog will land on. The dog is just walking along when, oh new smell, and then continues walking, oh new smell, oh new smell. In fact he may take several more abrupt turns before he stops at a resting place.

My brain operates similarly. While I found it an intriguing way to procrastinate in college, and deepen my knowledge of archaic philosophy, now I find it works to my advantage in the search for jobs in the nonprofit field.

Take for example a recent walk that I took while perusing Idealist for their latest job posts. I saw an intriguing nonprofit name. I followed the link to their homepage, to meander through their work. I found a list of their partners on a PDF image of a recent benefit dinner. So I started to look at one partner's web page. On that web page I found a link stating that they were a member of the emergent village. After finding out what the Emergent Village was, a week later I ended up at an emergent village cohort meeting. At this meeting people discuss issues relating to faith, the church, and society at large. I had a really interesting discussion with the other members and look forward to future discussions. I didn't land a job, but I have found a fulfilling place to discuss topics of concern to me.

Lesson: let your nose guide you through the world, you never know where you will end up. However, if you have a paper due the next day only follow your nose around the block vs. around the world.

No comments: