Thursday, January 24, 2008

A New Direction

I think that perhaps I have going about this search in the wrong order. I have been trying to find a job that fulfills my life. I recounted the other day to a friend that I have stopped trying to find a partner who can fulfill my happiness. This concept that one person can make us eternally happy, seemed absurd to me years ago. I found that if I am going to be happy I had to find a source which did not rest in this elusive other being. I needed to find my spirit and the source of my spirit. In writing this I can conclude that I have replaced my job for that romantic partner.

I shake my head because at this moment my own voice is echoing in my mind, that often we learn the same lesson over and over again. Why I don't know, but it seems that I have just learned it.

A transcript of a radio show, helped me find this new lesson again. Here is a moment It is from a Meaningful life Center.

Try this exercise. Take out a piece of paper and try to draw a circle and tell me how perfect that circle is. No matter how talented you are, even if you’re an artist, you’re not going to draw a perfect circle.

Now, to get a perfect circle you need a compass. A compass has a needle and you stick it in the paper, hold it firmly, and then you draw a circle with a pencil around that center. What’s the difference between that circle and the one you drew without a compass? The difference is that one has a center and one does not.

No circle can be complete if you do not have a center. Even with a center, you have to have it firmly established so it doesn’t become jagged and incomplete. If your compass is continually shifting, you will not be able to create that perfect circle.

The center of our lives is not our work. Our work is the circle. The center is your spirit, your purpose, and your vision. The work that you do should extend from your center, not the other way around.

If you don’t have a spiritual center and the center you create around your work shifts—you lose your job or you get older, or you get bored with your work—then your circle can never really be complete because it is being driven by the means rather than by the ends.


So I guess I need to find my compass again.

link to the quote is
http://www.meaningfullife.com/personal/business/Is_there_More_to_Life_than_Your_JobQUESTION.php

No comments: