Friday, January 25, 2008

Hope still reigns as yet another night comes.

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don't give up.
~Anne Lamott


I often look at my life like a beautiful novel or movie in progression. At this moment in my journey the pages are heavy with hope, that each day something beautiful is a step closer. However each day the simple beauty of just being in the waiting place must be recorded.

There are those that continue to meet in basements and living rooms to work towards the hopeful future. These people are the ones who will always see your smile even as you cannot see it. The people who continue to encourage you to keep marching even though others in the waiting place are erecting new barriers of doubt and remorse.

May we each have a dutiful team that erects images of our victories just as we fall into their arms from yet another doubt filled day.

Can there be such a thing as hopeful doubt? I think that hope would not be as tough if there was not doubt. It is like that moment in Beautiful Mind, where Russell Crowe is being aked if he still sees the phantoms. He says yes, but I simply ignore them. I think that like his phantoms, yes I still see doubt, but I try desperatly to ignore it. Some moments are harder than others, but in the end, Hope will always win.

No comments: