Thursday, December 6, 2007

Baking for a Cure

After a depressing few days in San Francisco I encountered something that I have found to be true many times in my short life. Job hunting is perhaps one of the most self deprecating activities one can do. Speaking with a friend who has similar qualifications to me we questioned that if, highly educated, generally optimistic, and driven women can find it depressing to search for a job what does everyone else feel? When I apply for a job that, on paper, I have all the qualifications for and still do not receive it, what does that mean? Should I, in fact listen to some and apply for Starbucks and Whole foods? Or should I trudge on, sleeping on couches and at my parents waiting for the golden ticket to appear.

Well on my three hour drive home, I was trying to think of activities I could engage in to pep myself up, when I thought, "I love cooking. I should make cookies." Thankfully, in that same moment I knew that eating them would not making me happy. So I decided to start thinking of people I could make them for. First I thought of the Senior home down the street, second the Juvenile hall kids, third...Third I thought of a fundraiser my friend Olivia does. She makes cookies to raise money for a Children's Caner Research foundation.

So that's what I am embarking on momentarily. I am going to Bake for a Cure. I am going to bake Holiday goods on order for holiday parties. Breads, Cakes, pies, cookies. All for the betterment of the holiday party and for the children who deserve to be well for Christmas. I always love having home baked goods at parties but so many people have little time, or cooking self esteem to make those wonderful gingerbread cookies, Challah, or Pecan pie. I love making them and have lots of time.

So spread the word my new meaningful job is to help make the holiday's a little brighter through what I know best, cooking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I love you!! Of COURSE being of service is the shortest distance between two points.

Here is MY business plan:

1. Be conscious
2. Be of service
3. Be teachable
4. Be the exception to any rule that guarantees the failure of your dreams
5. Always say "yes" to your profession's requests.

Check out how this plan works for building a mediation practice here:

http://www.negotiationlawblog.com/2007/02/articles/mediation/how-to-start-a-mediation-practice/

And has anyone told you how wonderful you are recently Cassandra Lawrence?

You're WONDERFUL!

Jean-Jacques said...

Mmmm, those cookies and Pecan pies sound delicious, Cass! :-) Will be dropping by your new blog occasionally. Best of luck with the job hunt.

Here's a tip regarding getting more readers (if you want more). Seek out other blogs with a similar theme to yours and leave comments on theirs.(While logged into Blogger) Your comments then link back to your blog and people will often look at your profile and then visit your blog and leave comments in return. My friend Michelle have quite a few regular posters by now and has even made a couple of good online friends. Also, she ALWAYS replies to comments - it's good blogging etiquette and that brings people back to her blog again to see what she has commented on their comments ;-). I enjoyed reading this post.
J.