Monday, December 10, 2007

Baking for a Cure: Day Five

Well I have officially sold one batch of amazing Chocolate chip cookies and one Blueberry pie. I also set up an online giving forum through face book. The process of simply starting this took a little more time than I thought. I guess you never really do know how to do something until you've completed it.

This reminds of a comment made by a potential employer. After I described my process of getting a volunteer program started, she asked, "Are you just making this up as you go?" I am still confused as to why she seemed so astonished about my desire to create something and follow through without a so called degree or training. I think most people even the ones that do have training end up making up most of it along the way. So why is this so astonishing?

My current process of creating the Bake for a Cure fundraiser has taken me from an "aha" moment to a "wow I never thought that it would take this much planning" moment, but I got there. I got there by talking and listening to people I trusted, by remembering the successful events of the past. However, it was my "aha" moment that drove me to create the process, without really knowing how it would turn out. In fact, I still don't know how it will turn out, but that's what I love. The moment you get to sit back and observe the most amazing creation, that you helped create but by no means were alone in making.

I think that's what really drives me. I have the passion to create in collaboration with a community something which, will in turn create more than I could ever imagine, or perhaps even see. I think that this is how you stumble upon your meaningful life. I am just walking along, I have an "aha" moment, then we create. We create something as simple as cookies to as complex as social movements. Think about the the amazing creators of our past hundred years or even today. Gandhi, Gaffar Khan, King, the musicians, chefs, teachers and even dare I say, us blogger's. Creating a little more beauty in the world, connecting people and feeding people.

No comments: