Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Now What

I was raised with the idea that I could do anything I set my mind to. In school, teachers and guidance counselors always emphasised college tracks. That for every career there is a recognized track that WILL lead you to that career. The thing with me is that while I knew I wanted to go to college and I knew that I wanted to be wildly successful I of course had no clear idea of what exactly that meant.

Well I should take that back, there were the dreams of being a Doctor, architect, small business owner, etc. All careers with very clear tracks. However, very few guidance counselors guide people into nonprofit careers, into Youth workers, mentors, community developers. So while I bounced back and forth between the "predictable" I chose to learn about the world. Starting with a fortuitous trip to Israel/Palestine when I decided to find out why people are so driven by religion and why people are pulled into conflict.

So...after a BA and an MA, I know that conflict is fueled by so many things within a community. The biggest indicator of a coming and acting conflict is a community breaking down into sects, of social strains showing themselves by a breakdown in services, rights and laws. This is when I decided to work in Community development.

This concept of Community development is so vague though. How on earth do I begin to chose what to work on?

I guess part of my inability to chose is attached to my inability to realize that there will be no wrong choice. "That" as my aunt put it, "I'm not choosing my lifelong career."
Now that I read what I wrote, my life long career has been chosen,and that is To help people remember what it means to live in a positive fulfilling community. To guide through my practice and to listen and learn from all the great teachers around me.

So then, I guess, I am just looking for my next gig...

No comments: